Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Tip of the Hat Goes to the Hare's Ear Nymph

Yesterday, I embarked on a little fishing for a few hours after some Father's Day festivities. The temperature was quite high (low 90's in the sun), and the fish were definitely not that interested in feeding. In the early evening, the bites began to pick up, but the aggressiveness all fishermen seek just wasn't there. I decided to throw on something I have never used before: a Hare's Ear Nymph. This is a fly I just started tying last week after acquiring more proper materials for its construction. While this is a proven fly for those who fish for trout, I was more than surprised on how well this fly worked on bluegill and crappie. I tied this fly on a size 10 wet fly hook, which made it small enough for the fish to get ahold of, even with a non-aggressive bite.

Hare's Ear Nymph

Hook: Size 10-18
Thread: Tan/off-white
Body: Tan/Light brown dubbing (whatever matches the thread)
Top of Body: Pheasant Tail Fibers
Tail: Pheasant Tail fibers
Added Weight: 4-5 wire wraps towards the head of the hook
Ribbing: Silver wire

No comments:

Post a Comment